Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Short Update on How Things are Going

I've been a little quiet these past few days. Part of that has been holidays, though part of that has also been general business, and here I'd like to explain what part of that business is.

A friend of mine contacted me with information about a program which is looking for speakers in my local area to talk with young people about mental illness and recovery. Currently, the plan is that the speakers will form a panel, each giving a short speech on their own experiences, and field questions from the young people. I have been composing a speech, which all things going well I should be able to present on that panel soon. If not, I still intend to post the speech here.

Regardless of whether or not I'm able to be a part of the panel and give that speech, I think it says a great deal that I've gotten to the point that I even have the possibility of doing such a thing. Four years ago, I wouldn't have thought I'd be doing this now. Six months ago I wouldn't have thought I'd be doing this now. The sheer amount of progress I've made in such a short time is astonishing to me.

And I'm not a unique case. It really is possible for change to happen that quickly. Often it seems like if we are to improve, it will take five, ten, or twenty years to get to such a point. And sometimes it does. Sometimes it's even faster than six months. The circumstances of getting better change for every person, but the circumstances are always there, it's just a matter of being willing to try. Had I not tried, I would not have gotten better in one year or twenty years or fifty years. But by trying, I open myself up to getting better, and no matter how long it takes to get better, the fact is I am getting better.

Which is not to say it will always be an upward trend. There will always be setbacks, some more severe than others. Even as I've gotten better, I've had those setbacks, and sometimes wondered if I'd actually progressed at all, or if I was actually getting worse. I wasn't, that was only my depression speaking. It's important to remember that during those setbacks, the best thing we can do is what we've already been doing--just keep trying.


No comments:

Post a Comment